In Pennsylvania, a DUI offense doesn’t automatically mean a license suspension or jail time. If you’ve been charged with your first DUI, you may be eligible for leniency if you meet the requirements of the Pennsylvania accelerated rehabilitative disposition (ARD) program. One of our knowledgeable attorneys can evaluate your case to determine if you might be eligible to apply for this program.
Am I Eligible For the PA ARD Program After A DUI?
Our attorneys recognize that people sometimes make mistakes. We are here to protect your future, your record and your driving privileges when a DUI arrest threatens to turn your life upside down.
When you speak with the lawyers at Bentley, Gibson, Kopecki, Smith, P.C., we can discuss whether you are eligible for the ARD program, and determine whether it is a viable option for you. If you are eligible and wish to participate in the program, we will help you through the application, the interview and all other steps in the process.
One major advantage of the Pennsylvania ARD program is the shortened license suspension. A DUI conviction could result in a one-year license suspension. Participation in the Pennsylvania ARD program will reduce your license suspension under the following conditions:
- There is no mandatory license suspension if the BAC is less than .10 and the offender is an adult.
- Suspension is 30 days for a BAC of .10 to less than .16.
- Suspension is 60 days for a BAC of .16 or greater, or for controlled substances.
- Suspension is 60 days for refusing the chemical test.
- Suspension is 90 days if the offender is under 21 years of age.
Mandatory Conditions Of ARD
If you are accepted into the Pennsylvania ARD program, this doesn’t mean you get a “free pass” for your offense. It does, however, reduce the potential consequences. Instead of potential jail time and fines, for example, you may be subject to the following requirements:
- Supervision of six to 12 months, depending on the county where the charges have been filed.
- Enroll in and complete the Alcohol Highway Safety School (AHSS)
- Full drug and alcohol evaluation, if indicated
- Payment of fees and surcharges
Find Out More
A DUI offense can be a life-changing event. You may be subjected to mandatory jail time and a lengthy license suspension. Our attorneys will take time to sit down with you and review your case to determine if you are eligible for the ARD program. Even if you are not eligible, we will talk to you about your options and will diligently work to avoid you being subjected to the harsh penalties associated with your DUI offense. It is vital that you seek effective legal representation to preserve your rights and inform you of all of your options.
Get in touch with us via our email form, or call us at (610) 685-8000 to schedule your free 30-minute initial consultation.