Even though our society is changing quickly, many people still have strong relationships with their families. However, more often than not, some of these relationships are compromised by issues that cannot be resolved in-house. In such situations, some family members opt to seek family law services.
When most people hear the term “family law,” they instantly think of marital problems. However, marital separation issues are only the tip of the iceberg. Many other domestic situations can cause tension, stress, and hardship for everyone involved.
Many families are unable to resolve these issues without the assistance of a lawyer. As a result, family law exists to help them find legal solutions, restore order, and seek legal remedies for a wide range of domestic issues.
Common Family Law Issues
Family law attorneys provide legal counsel for legal matters such as;
- Fundamental divorce cases, for instance, property division, valuation of marital businesses, and spousal support (alimony).
- Child custody issues include physical custody of children, parenting time, visitations, paternity issues, child support, and relocation.
- Adoption. A family lawyer can assist couples or individuals to make their parent-child relationship official, as well as navigate the various adoption processes.
- Negotiating and drafting prenuptial agreements, nuptial agreements, post-nuptial agreements, and cohabitation agreements.
- Jurisdictional conflicts, such as the movement of children from one jurisdiction to another, or unlawfully relocating a child out of the country.
- Domestic violence. A family law attorney represents abuse victims and help them to get protection orders. They will also counsel or defend a party accused of abuse.
- Fundamental divorce matters include division of marital property, valuation of marital businesses, and spousal support (alimony).
- Handling appeals on a wide range of family law matters.
- A family lawyer also acts as a mediator or an arbitrator for parties wishing to settle their cases outside of court.
What Should You Consider When Hiring a Family Law Attorney?
Choosing a family lawyer is a serious decision that many people find quite challenging. After all, family matters can be highly emotional and sensitive. Even so, getting the right lawyer might make you feel less stressed and help you get a better result.
Here are some pointers to assist you in your search for legal services.
1. Choose a family lawyer, not a law firm
It is tempting to select a large law firm to represent your case because they are well-known or because you may have heard of their success stories. Most of the time, they are working on multiple cases at once or are buried in paperwork and may not be able to give your case the personal attention it needs.
However, you should be looking for a smaller law firm with a family law attorney that has dealt with your specific issue or cases similar to yours and can apply their knowledge to your situation. You should also keep an eye out for the lawyer transferring responsibility for your case to an associate or someone you haven’t met or approved.
To ensure this, always inquire if they will be handling your case when you meet with them.
2. Take time to check their level of legal expertise
An experienced attorney cannot be substituted. An attorney who has been practicing law for decades will be more knowledgeable than one who has only been in practice for a year or two. However, do not always trust them when they say how long they have been practicing.
Always dig deeper and double-check the facts. They should not only have experience serving but also be knowledgeable in the legal system in Berks County, Pennsylvania.
Additionally, Pennsylvania family law is complicated, and patterns shift with the latest rulings. The judge’s judgment on a particular case may change in the future. So, it’s important to choose family lawyers who have a lot of knowledge and experience in family law.
Check to see if the lawyer has a specific set of talents that meet your requirements.
3. Find a lawyer you are compatible with
Throughout the family law cases, the lawyer you hire will be your partner. You may also need to tell your attorney sensitive or embarrassing information. It is important that you choose someone with whom you can easily communicate and whom you believe is trustworthy.
They should make you feel comfortable, suitable for your personality type, and confident that they can assist you through your legal issues as simply as possible. It may take some time to find such a lawyer, but choosing one who is compatible with you is worthwhile.
4. Choose a family law attorney with reasonable legal fees
Family lawyers are generally pricey. Some people may choose a cheap lawyer to save money, but this does not always result in the best overall results. Some will go for one with high fees but be warned because this does not always correlate with their level of expertise, dedication, and professionalism.
The best lawyer for you will be one you can afford. Also, it’s important to know that your legal fees will depend on your level of expertise, the difficulty of your case, and other things. Make sure to inquire about their fees and if you will be billed hourly, on a flat rate, or on a contingency basis.
Where can I get good family law attorneys?
If a family dispute reaches the courts, it’s probably time to get legal help from a qualified family lawyer. If you find yourself in this situation, contact Bentley, Kopecki, Smith, P.C. They operate branches in Reading and Lebanon, Pennsylvania. To schedule a meeting, call (610) 685-8000 or contact us online.
Who pays for divorce cases?
Usually, each party divorcing pays their own legal fees, and the spouse filing for divorce is responsible for covering court fees and other charges.
Does PA family law favor mothers in child custody?
No, Pennsylvania child custody law is gender-neutral.
Contact the Experienced Family Law Attorney At Bentley, Kopecki, Smith, PC. in Berks County, PA
If you are looking for divorce lawyers, need an attorney for other family-related legal matters, or are facing a criminal charge like a DUI, Bentley, Kopecki, Smith, P.C., is the right place. Our legal services include providing high-caliber legal representation in criminal defense, DUI, family law, divorce, and child custody.
We understand that you are experiencing a difficult time. Perhaps you feel overwhelmed or helpless. So, we offer a free 30-minute introductory session so that you can “try us out” and see for yourself if we are really listening to you and if we can really help you.